I’m Megan Van Meter, MA, LPC-AT/S, ATR-BC, the chief executive commander president bigwig behind ABCs for Therapists. The letters after my name signify that the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors recognizes me as a Licensed Professional Counselor-Art Therapist/Supervisor and that the Art Therapy Credentials Board recognizes me as an Art Therapist Registered-Board Certified.
I provide clinical art therapy services to students in an area school district, but I also offer experiential professional development opportunities to my fellow therapists who are also working in the trenches to improve cognitive/emotional/behavioral functioning one person at a time. I know the walk you have to walk and the talk you have to talk, because I have to walk and talk that way too.
In 1990 I received my undergraduate degree from the University of Wisconsin, where I double-majored in art and psychology. I then earned a master’s degree in art therapy with a specialization in grief and medical counseling from the University of Louisville in 1992. Since then I have worked with a broad range of client populations in a variety of settings, including:
- at-risk elementary school students
- children & adolescents in inpatient treatment
- adults with cancer & their family members
- adults going through separation & divorce
- elderly adults with/without dementia in long-term care
- adults in partial hospitalization, aftercare, & residential treatment
- adolescents in residential and day treatment programs
- men in a maximum-security psychiatric prison
- neurologically impaired elementary school students
- adults in forensic inpatient treatment
- elderly adults in inpatient treatment
- emotionally disturbed elementary, middle, & high school students
- adults in inpatient treatment
I’m very active at the professional level, having served the American Art Therapy Association in various capacities prior to my current role as a member of the Bylaws and Policies & Procedures Committee. I also spent several years serving on and then chairing the Certification Committee of the Art Therapy Credentials Board. My professional memberships and affiliations include:
- the American Art Therapy Association
- Austin in Connection
- the Capital of Texas Counseling Association
- the Hill Country Chapter of the Texas Association for Play Therapy
- the Texas Counseling Association
- the Texas Sandplay Society
- the YWCA of Greater Austin
I also enjoy presenting to audiences who are interested in the various facets of art therapy and the therapeutic use of art. I’d appreciate the opportunity to provide a workshop or presentation for your organization or employer! Click here for a list of my presentations and workshops to date and contact me if you’re interested in any of the topics or if you’d like me to customize something that meets your needs.
I want to thank you very much for your interest in the work I’m doing through ABCs for Therapists, and most of all I want to thank you for the work you’re doing to build a better world.